Sleep is a necessity of the body that brings rest to all the body organs, after a long day’s activity. A person can rejuvenate his physical energy through a night’s sleep, for at least 6 to 8 hours. But the crucial fact is that only a perfectly sound sleep can provide the desired result for the physical and mental stability of a person. On the contrary, disturbed sleep can lead the body to experience terrible fatigue throughout the day, as well as result in the lack of concentration and irritated mood.
But there are a few essential oils that are known to be effective in creating sound sleep, curing all the sleep disorders. These natural oils are all extracted from the flowers, fruits, and the wood of various kinds of trees and plants.
1. Lavender Oil – This sweet-scented oil is derived from the lavender flowers, which has an excellent effect to calm down anxious feelings. So it is best to apply this oil before going to bed at night, to ensure sound sleep without any disturbance. Only 1-2 drops of lavender oil should be added to the pillow or directly to the forehead, wrists, and feet of the user so that its soothing essence can help him/her fall asleep very quickly.
2. Roman Chamomile – Many people are used in the regular intake of chamomile tea for health reasons. However, this essential oil derived from the Roman chamomile plant is useful in relaxing the body and mind of a user. The soft herbal essence of this oil resembles the scent of apple to some extent. This sweet fragrance acts as a stress-reliever and reduces all negative emotions, like anger, bitterness, and irritation.
3. Cedarwood Oil – This oil is derived from the bark of the cedarwood tree. It is used for relaxing the agitated nerves, due to its natural sedative power. A few drops of this essential oil can be added to the pillow of a patient suffering from insomnia and watched the difference instantly. Apart from inducing a feeling of tranquility, this oil helps in fighting common cold and different household pests.
4. Vetiver – This oil is obtained from vetiver grass, which is also called khus-khus in many Asian countries. It can be applied directly to the body skin for reducing mental stress, leading to sound sleep at night. It also works fast in soothing mental traumas and emotional shocks. It is used as a medicine for the relaxation of nerves and to stimulate the circulatory system of the body.
5. Valor – This essential oil is made by mixing rosewood oil, frankincense oil, black spruce oil, and blue tansy oil. Its woody scent helps in maintaining balance in the nervous system, resulting in increasing the physical and mental strength of the user. Moreover, it induces courage, self-confidence, and concentration. It also decreases the anxiety level, balances the emotional upheaval, and even reduces back pain. Hence, a few drops of this oil should be massaged on the wrists, feet, chest, and neck before going to bed or may be added to the massage oil for a full-body massage.
6. Orange – This oil is derived from the peels of fresh orange, for which it has a sweet, fruity fragrance that calms down a disturbed mind. While it uplifts the mood of the user and acts as an anti-depressant; this essential oil also known to have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains d-limonene, which is an antioxidant and thus, helps in regenerating body cells.
7. Stress away – This essential oil is made by mixing lime essential oil and vanilla extract. Sometimes, other pure essential oils, like lavender oil and cedarwood oil are added to this useful oil to make it a more powerful sleep-inducing agent. The sweet citrus aroma of this oil calms down emotions and makes the user mentally peaceful, by driving out all tensions and hard feelings from his/her mind.
The best way of using these essential oils is to spray into the nostrils with the help of a small home diffuser. In the absence of such a tool, one can simply rub a few drops of any of these oils on the palms and inhale the essence, by cupping the hands in front of the nose. These oils can also be massaged gently on the neck, chest, hands, and feet, to induce faster and sounder sleep.